With hackers, scammers and fake friends reaching kids via game chat and social media, there are some great digital defence moves that can help stop cyber criminals in their tracks.
- Supports students to learn what personal information is, and actions to take to protect themselves from identity theft and scams.
- Provides further learning on scams, the dangers of over-sharing, and what to do if their social media account or gaming account has been hacked.
This workshop gives students the opportunity to examine their social media profiles and posts through the lens a boss applies in the process of hiring and during employment. Students work through improving their online identity for future success.
- Investigate ways to create and manage your digital brand.
- Examine ways to enhance your digital presence.
Both workshops directly addresses the Australian Curriculum 9.0 Digital Literacy capability through exploring how to:
- Manage online safety
- Manage digital privacy and identity
- Manage digital wellbeing
- Protect content
They also addresse aspects of the Personal and Social capabilities including:
- Social awareness
- Social management
With a focus on developing students’ critical literacy skills in relation to digital texts the following cross curriculum links apply:
Digital Identity – Protecting Your Personal Information
- Health & Physical education
F-10 Curriculum | Health and Physical Education – Year 7, 8
- Plan and implement strategies, using health resources, to enhance their own and others’ health, safety, relationships, and wellbeing (AC9HP8P10)
F-10 Curriculum | English – Year 7, 8
- Use comprehension strategies such as visualising, predicting, connecting, summarising, monitoring, questioning and inferring to analyse and summarise information and idea (AC9E7LY05 AND AC9E8LY05)
- Digital Technologies
F-10 Curriculum | Digital Technologies – Year 7, 8
- Explain how multi-factor authentication protects an account when the password is compromised and identify phishing and other cyber security threats (AC9TDI8P13)
- Investigate and manage the digital footprint existing systems and student solutions collect and assess if the data is essential to their purpose (AC9TDI8P14)
Digital Identity – Your Personal Brand
- Health & Physical education
F-10 Curriculum | Health and Physical Education – Year 10
- Analyse factors that shape identities and evaluate how individuals influence the identities of others (AC9HP10P01)
- Plan, rehearse and evaluate strategies for managing situations where their own or others’ health, safety or wellbeing may be at risk (AC9HP10P08)
- Plan, justify and critique strategies to enhance their own and others’ health, safety, relationships and wellbeing (AC9HP10P10)
F-10 Curriculum | English – Year 10
- Understand that language used to evaluate, implicitly or explicitly reveals an individual’s values (AC9E10LA02)
- Analyse and evaluate how language features are used to implicitly or explicitly represent values, beliefs and attitudes (AC9E10LY03)
- 5.3.1- justifies responsible practices and ethical use of information and software technology
- 5.3.2- acquires and manipulates data and information in an ethical manner
- 5.4.1- analyses the effects of past, current and emerging information and software technologies on the individual and society
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)